Situated in the Ural Mountains, Ekaterinburg, sometimes spelled “Yekaterinburg,” experienced rapid growth starting in the 1720s. Situated on the Iset River, the city’s plant opened in 1723 to produce iron, cast iron, and copper and gave birth to the new city. It served as a mining capital and was strategically located as a center between East and West, Asia, and Europe.

Two years after the plant opened, Ekaterinburg Mint followed suit. It produced heavy copper plates known as “plateau,” which were valued according to their weight. Starting in 1735, the Mint began producing all of Russia’s copper coins. Production dropped from 100% of Russia’s copper coins to 80% of them over time. A century and a half after it opened, the mint ceased operations in June 1876.