Why purchase this 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Proof Silver Dollar coin?
In the early 20th century, African American and Latin American athletes were banned from participating in baseball’s major leagues. This resulted in the establishment of the Negro National League (NNL) in 1920, by a cooperative of team owners in Kansas City. This magnificent proof coin issued by the U.S. Mint is an homage to the NNL and the legacy of its players.
- This 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative coin contains 0.859 Troy oz. of .999 fine silver.
- The 38.10 mm diameter coin is a Philadelphia Mint product.
- The coin is minted with a stunning proof finish, featuring delicately frosted design elements and mirrored backgrounds.
- The perfectly struck silver dollar coin received the First Releases designation.
- Mintage is limited to no more than 400,000 pieces across all Silver Dollar product options.
Beautifully Rendered Commemorative Imagery
Obverse: The obverse depicts a pitcher just seconds after powerfully launching a baseball towards an unseen batter. The ball is showcased in the foreground, while the background is adorned with a frame crafted from baseball stitching. The inscriptions “LIBERTY,” “IN GOD WE TRUST” and “2022” are positioned beyond the stitched graphic.
Reverse: The reverse illustrates the view from the pitcher’s mound, as a pitch approaches home plate. A batter from the Kansas City Monarchs team confidently stands poised for a powerful swing, with his intense focus on the ball, as the catcher awaits the pitch with a raised glove, and the umpire stands ready to call the play. “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM” and “$1” are inscribed above.
Proof 70 Excellence
This 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Silver Dollar Coin was received by the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) for review within thirty days of its release from the Mint, qualifying for the First Releases attribution. For its flawlessly executed strike, impeccably finished surfaces and breathtaking eye appeal, the proof coin was awarded the perfect grade of Proof 70. The coin is encapsulated in a sonically sealed protective holder accompanied by a NGC certification label.