Why buy this Congratulations Set 2021-W Proof American Silver Eagle?
Recognize someone special for a life milestone or accomplishment in 2021 with this Proof Silver Eagle from the U.S. Mint’s Congratulations Set. This issue is historically significant as it is the final Proof Silver Eagle to bear John Mercanti’s original Heraldic Eagle design and it is also part of the 35th anniversary edition of the series.
- This coin was struck from 1 oz of .999 fine silver.
- This coin is $1 U.S. legal tender.
- The product limit of 39,997 is sold-out at the Mint!
- This piece bears the “W” mint mark of the West Point Mint.
- This coin was released in the U.S. Mint’s Congratulations Set.
- This is part of the 35th anniversary release of the Proof Silver Eagle.
- This is the final Proof coin in the series to bear John Mercanti’s original heraldic eagle design.
- Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) graded this coin Proof 69.
- NGC certified this piece Ultra Cameo and First Releases.
- Grading information comes on a 35th Anniversary label.
Classic Heraldic Eagle Design by John Mercanti
Obverse: Liberty carries laurel and oak branches in the morning sun on the obverse. The image comes from Adolph Weinman’s Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Inscriptions on this face include the central figure’s name, “LIBERTY,” the national motto, “IN GOD WE TRUST,” and the date, “2021.” Adolph Weinman designed the Walking Liberty Half Dollar and the Mercury Dime, two of the most important pieces in America’s early 20th century numismatic renaissance. He also designed medals and was a sculptor, whose sculptures are still on display in several American cities.
Reverse: The reverse bears a heraldic eagle design that John Mercanti modeled off of the Great Seal of the United States. Thirteen stars symbolize the original states above an eagle, which protects a union shield while holding arrows and an olive branch. The name of the issuing country, “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” is inscribed on the top half of the rim, while “1 OZ. FINE SILVER” and “ONE DOLLAR” are inscribed on the bottom half. Nobody in American history has designed more medals and coins that John Mercanti. HIs time with the US Mint spanned nearly four decades, part of which he served as the institution’s twelfth Chief Engraver.
Virtually Flawless PF69 UC FR with 35th Anniversary Label
This coin’s grading information is provided on a 35th Anniversary label. Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) awarded the coin its second highest grade, Proof 69, which means that it appears perfect to the naked eye. NGC also credited the coin with exhibiting particularly sharp contrasts between heavily frosted devices and deeply mirrored fields by certifying it Ultra Cameo. Finally, NGC noted that the coin was submitted for grading no more than 30 days after its initial release from the mint by certifying it First Releases.