Why order this Proof 2021-S Type 2 American Silver Eagle?
The U.S. Mint marks the 35th anniversary of the Proof Silver Eagle with this first ever Type 2 issue. The new type, which replaced the Type 1 version in mid-2021, features a new reverse design by Emily Damstra. Other changes include the first appears in series history of Adolph Weinman’s artist mark and an interrupted reeded edge, a new anti-counterfeiting measure. This issue from the San Francisco Mint should be a part of every Silver Eagle enthusiasts’ collection.
- This coin is $1 U.S. legal tender.
- This coin was struck on a 1 oz planchet of .999 fine silver.
- The proof was struck at the San Francisco Mint, which is represented by its “S” mint mark.
- The coin is part of the 35th anniversary edition of the Proof Silver Eagle.
- This release features a new reverse design by Emily Damstra.
- This release also includes for the first time in series history Adolph Weinman’s artist mark on the obverse.
- The U.S. Mint instituted an interrupted serrated edge as a security feature.
- Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) graded this piece Proof 69.
- PCGS certified this piece Deep Cameo and First Strikes.
- Grading information is provided on an American flag label.
Powerful Eagle Landing Design by Emily Damstra
Obverse: The Walking Liberty design of Adolph Weinman, which first appeared on the half dollar, serves as the obverse design. The morning sun begins to rise as Liberty carries branches while draped in the American flag. Inscriptions on this face include the national motto, “IN GOD WE TRUST,” the date, “2021,” and the central figure’s name, “LIBERTY.” Adolph Weinman was one of the most important contributors to America’s early 20th century numismatic renaissance. His best known contributions to the effort were the Walking Liberty Half Dollar and the Mercury Dime.
Reverse: The new reverse design was created by Emily Damstra. It shows an eagle carrying an oak branch in its talons as it prepares to land. Encircling the image are three inscriptions, “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “ONE DOLLAR,” and “1 OZ. FINE SILVER.” An additional inscription, “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” is included on the right.
Virtually Perfect PR69 DCAM FS with Flag Label
Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) provided the grading information for this coin on a label that bears the American flag. The grading company awarded this piece its second highest grade, Proof 69. To earn that grade, a coin must appear perfect to the naked eye. PCGS also certified this piece Deep Cameo (DCAM) and First Strikes (FS). The DCAM designation means that it has deeply mirrored fields, while the FS certification is given to coins that were submitted for grading within 30 days of their initial mint releases.