Why purchase this 1911-1936 British India George V Silver Rupee?
George V reigned during an extremely consequential period in British history. During the reign, communism, socialism, and fascism were all on the rise, as were independence movements in Ireland and India. This coin was struck for circulation in India, which was considered the jewel of the British Empire. This silver rupee provides a unique connection with a period of time that played a major role in shaping the modern world.
- This coin was struck during the reign of King George V.
- This piece was one rupee legal tender in India.
- The coin was struck from 11.66 grams of .917 fine silver.
- King George V reigned from 1910-1936.
- This coin will arrive in Very Fine or Extremely Fine condition.
Powerful King George V Design by Edgar Bertram MacKennal
Obverse: The coin’s obverse features a portrait of King George V wearing a crown and regal clothing. The image was engraved by Edgar Bertram MacKennal. Rim inscriptions note the monarch’s name and title, reading, “GEORGE V KING EMPEROR.”
Reverse: At the center of the reverse are inscriptions of the coin’s face value, “ONE RUPEE,” country, “INDIA,” and date. The face value is also inscribed in Urdu. Encircling these inscriptions is a wreath that consists of lotus flowers, roses, shamrocks, and thistle.