Why purchase this 1889 Silver Morgan Dollar?
Morgan Silver Dollars occupy a place in the hearts and minds of Americans like no other coin. Although issued for a relatively brief period, the coins are easily recognizable to this day a century after they were last issued. This 1889 piece would make a great start or addition to any Morgan collection or make an excellent gift as a standalone piece.
- This coin was $1 legal tender in the United States.
- This coin was struck at the Philadelphia Mint.
- The coin was struck on a 26.73 g planchet of .900 fine silver.
- 21,726,000 of these Morgans were struck.
- Morgan Silver Dollars are frequently collected not just by hobbyists but also by Americans who otherwise do not collect coins.
- George T. Morgan broke with tradition by depicting Liberty as an American-style rather than a Greek-style figure.
- Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) awarded this coin their Green Label.
- NGC graded this coin Mint State 64.
Unique Liberty Design by George T. Morgan
Obverse: Like the reverse, the obverse was designed by George T. Morgan. Liberty is shown in left-side profile wearing a Phrygian cap, a ribbon that bears an inscription of her name, and a crown of cotton and wheat. There are two rim inscriptions, “E PLURIBUS UNUM” and “1889” that combine with thirteen stars to encircle the image.
Reverse: An eagle spreads its wings in a V-shape while holding arrows and an olive branch within an open wreath on the reverse. “IN GOD WE TRUST,” America’s national motto, is inscribed between the bird’s wings. All of this is encircled by two rim inscriptions, “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” and “ONE DOLLAR.”
Uncirculated MS64 with Green Label
Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) awarded this coin a grade of Mint State 64, thus indicating that the coin has an average or better strike and shows no traces of wear. The Green Label is only awarded to coins that prior to being submitted to NGC for grading were selected by RARCOA for having elements such as stunning eye-appeal, strike, booming luster, or attractive toning. Only coins that are determined to have these exceptional features per RARCOA’s guidelines qualify for NGC’s Green Label, allowing collectors to quickly identify superior quality coins that have undergone RARCOA’s scrutiny in addition to NGC’s certification and encapsulation process.
To learn more about the NGC Green Label and to view the entire assortment, click Here!